Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Full-time Online Favs of Mine!

Previously, I posted my aspirations and thoughts over work, creativity and online artists. Over the years, I, like many online folks, follow a mixture of online sources for entertainment. Here are some of the...

Full-time Online Favs of Mine!

Taken from Hodge's Deviant Art pic

Most of my submissions will probably be webcomics, as my interests tend to steer toward the comic variety. Since high school, when I first heard of webcomics, I have been following Candi comics, by Starline Hodge. A talented story teller, who consistently posts comics strips on a weekly basis, Starline is also a professional graphic designer and a Sailor Moon fan. (My favor scout is Sailor Saturn.)

Candi is posted at candicomics.com
Starline also has a "tumblog" and shares drawing tutorials and skilled fan art. starline.tumblr.com

Personally, I broke up around the same time Candi and Alex did with my boyfriend of three years, who pretty much left me for a booty call (Linda, in the comics). Before I transferred to CSU, my major was graphic design too. We definitely have a lot in common.

Candi lives in a world of relationship drama, flying ferrets from the science lab and a school funded "sexy police." Starline keeps the comic fresh and empathizes with all the characters in her writing, even when, as a reader, I don't want to. 



Vol. 1 of Ma3 is found here.

A lot of these stories start in high school, huh? Penny and Aggie is a finished webcomic, but I started reading it as a teenager. Starting off a typical popular girl versus rebel grrl, Penny and Aggie developed into a comic addressing multiple teenage issues. Gisele drew the comic and T. Campbell wrote the script. Right before Penny and Aggie ended, Gisele started her own comic (her first online comic to my knowledge is Cool Cat Studio, about a graphic design firm) Menage a 3.

The comic is centered around a struggling, virgin artist Gary and his two new room mates, rocker girl Zii (Suzy) and amazon beauty, Didi (Desiree). Gary is forced to find new room mates after the old ones, Matt and Dillion, hook up and want to move out together.

Featuring a load of sexual jokes and cliches the story is sexy, witty and appeals to a wide variety of internet dwellers. Gisele pioneered a collection of new comics with other artists, now running a network of webcomics. Eerie Cuties, Magick Chicks, Dangerously Chloe, and, just recently, Sticky Dilly Buns all have her stamp on them.


Found at the QC store.

Probably one of the most reliable webcomics out there. Questionable Content is a internet sitcom, featuring music aficionado, Martin Reed, his sarcastic drinking buddy and room mate, Faye and personal computer, if-the-internet-could-speak robot, Pintsize.

Questionable Content posts on a regular Monday thru Friday schedule. It's reliable, funny and has a stash of archives if you ever need to revisit episodes. I stick around for the romance/personal drama.

The Questionable Content store featured at Topatoco.com has a life of its own. The characters in the comic often wear the feature gear in the store, which host a variety of internet memes and inside storyline jokes. That one time in high school, I excelled at math and bought a "Math is Delicious" tote bag to carry my calculous books in.
Unfortunately, the tote is no longer in the store. Although, purchasing items from online retailers makes me feel like I'm a part of a secret society, lurking just below the surface of mall fashion and normalcy. 

I can't say that QC isn't secret; it's one of the most popular webcomics out there. A year of posting three times a week, Jeph quit his day job and began working full time, able to support his wife, adorable pyrenees pup and himself on the comic.


Older picture; more at biorequiem.com

Tried of me saying, "in high school?" Okay then, in middle school many of girls I knew, mostly online, but one IRL friend, liked Suicide Girls. As I stated previously, I tend to steer in more graphically and instead of adopting a Suicide Girl to like, I favored Zoetica Ebb.

A photographer and fashion connoisseur, "What's Zo Wearing?" was her featured article on the SG's website. Wearing motley clothes and a badass attitude, Zoetica stood out as a model character for some of my middle school art work. The original writer that I am, I created a space rocker named "abbyxia vvebb," who had a flying skateboard and played the drums. Many of the sketches of abbyx, had similar styles that Zo' wore in her articles; although all of them had my hair style and face. (abbyx didn't capitalize her name, a mixture of German grammar and futuristic trend setting.)

Currently, she's an LA artist, using her photographer, artistic, fashionable styles to do whatever the hell she wants: partnering up to create The Secret Guide to Alternative Beijing, her own Alien Botany project, helping to create and then leaving Coilhouse. I occasionally check her tumblr, just to be reminded that you can be weird full-time.


93, 100 Creatives

Cute creations and hot boys! What more could I ask for? The talented Florida artist, Danny Brito mixes different mediums to create one of a kind illustrations, accessories and pop culture references in his art work. He also owns a pug named Roxy, who is adorbz. He is another full-time artist I follow. Getting past his anxiety to produce self supporting art work is motivating.




Roxy is on the left
I recently found out about Danny Brito through my endless search for pug photos on the internet. He made a custom jeans shirt for his pug, Roxy, and an hour later of looking at his original work, I walked away impressed!

das Ende!

It appears most of my internet inspirations are a mix of morbidly cute personal dramas from sexy extraterrestrial moon, pug fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment