Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Food

I didn't really plan out my first month. I do have a basic mess kit (plastic container, knife, spoon, fork, cup), but haven't really put together a plan on what I should purchase to survive on my budget, in a car for a couple of months.

Today, I already spent 1.69 on the hamburger, leaving 1.61 for today. Per serving, I will be looking at how much it costs to get things like granola bars and make sandwiches. Right now though, it looks like breakfast is something off the dollar menu and dinner will be canned food from the grocery store.

Many sites have warned against eating fast food as a substitute for meals, Romana S. at Vandwellers.org uses the term false economy, which I understand. If I did order 5-10 dollar means at fast food restaurants I couldn't stay in my budget.

I would defend the big burger (520c) I had this morning from Carl's Jr as having almost half my caloric intake (1200-1400c) taken care of for a dollar. Well, it was suppose to be a dollar, but it looks like Carl's Jr is more expense than other value menus. Taco Bell, McDonalds and others have items that only total 1.07, but have 400-500 calories. A granola bar for .50 cents or can of fruit for the same can fill up my other two dollars.

With more planning, I will hopefully have a better plan that eating off the dollar menu everyday, but for the next couple of days that will have to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment